Most do-it-yourselfer or home improvement projects require the use of a portable power drill. Portable drills are indispensable for drilling holes and driving screws into a wide range of materials.Portable drills come in a wide variety of sizes and offer many different features.
Options to consider when purchasing a drill:
- Voltage Power – They are available in many sizes and power outputs that range from 6 volts to 24 volts. These drill are powered by a battery pack that usually can be charged in an hour or less. It is a good idea to have two batteries when purchasing a cordless drill.
- Forward/ Reverse Switches – This allows the drill to spin in both directions making it easier to remove screws.
- Variable Speed Trigger – This feature lets you start drilling slowly then increase the drill speed for better control. It’s recommended to get a cordless drill that can rotate at least 600 revolutions per minute so you can use it on a metal as well as wood.
- Variable Torque Settings – Some drills allow you to select different torque settings. When the drill motor reaches the selected torque, a clutch disengages the chuck. This advantage helps prevent stripped or over-driven screws.
- Hammer Feature – This feature adds a high-speed back and forth action to the normal drilling process. This action is mainly for drilling into concrete.
- Keyless Chuck – Most new drills are available with rubberized chucks that you can tighten with your hands instead of a chuck key.